Hobos in Space

Two west side hobos talking in a vacuum, thinking they're funny.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Song List for Tiresias: Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids

If hobos had iPods, is what I actually wanted to call this entry. It must be the air in the tunnels today. I've called off all greeter/consultant duties for today and have instead decided to share my song list for this week with the general public.

1. The Judds. "Why Not Me." And the very earnest, lovely, sweet-styled "Love Is Alive," as in,

"Love is alive and at our breakfast table every day of the week
Love is alive and it grows everyday and night even in our sleep
Love is alive and it's made a happy woman out of me
oh, love is alive
And here by me."

Rocked to that on the C train.

2. Elton John.

"I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues" is probably not the best song in the world, nor is it the best song Elton John has done, but it is, for some inexplicable reason, my favorite song. I think it's the lean-in with the piano, the sloping jauntiness of the first few notes before he busts in full throttle with "Don't wish it away, don't look at it like it's forever," and then he says "Between you and me," using absolutely correct grammar, which I love, for the very reason that too many people say "you and I," probably because they had a spottily-educated grammar school teacher who told them it was wrong to say "you and me," but that it's wrong to say "you and me" as a subject, whereas in place of the direct object, it's absolutely correct. But since I was born two steps from the double-wide, I always say "you and me." It always sounds right to I.

Sorry to start with the grammar lecture, but I guess my next point would be that I, Tiresias, never apologize. I, Tiresias, am always right. I, Tiresias, double-dip my fries in both ketchup and mayonnaise. I, Tiresias, think the day is always better after you sing Elton John, especially, in no particular order, "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues," "Daniel," "Your Song," "Rocket Man," and "Crocodile Rock."

Just remember: I'm not the man they think I am at home, oh no, no no.

3. Fleetwood Mac

Which reminds me. I sat across from a woman who kept saying "This is hideous" at the weekly Hobos Inc. meeting, talking about the placement of the park chairs and how the dogs are doing irreparable damage to the flora ... and all I could think every time she said "hideous" was:

Look at You.

She was wearing:

lipstick, bright coral shade
hair similar to Meg Ryan's in Joe versus the Volcano, 'cept longer and frowzier
a body-skimming short-sleeved black lace button shirt
Something raspberry underneath
long boho ruffle skirt
major eyeliner
peter pan pointy little boots
a sour expression.

Yep. I see your gypsy, all right. And I know you got to be more famous than your counterparts and overshadowed the 2-million-cigarettes sultry-singing low-rider-voiced Christine McVie. She looks like she's been run over a few times, but let's not be pointing no fingers too capriciously.

4. Bruce Springsteen. But it's hard to keep listening to him when the CD starts skipping at "The River." And then you know it's all over and you won't be getting another Springsteen album until your next paying gig, which won't be anytime soon.

5. Kronos Quartet and Asha Bhosle, singing the bad-girl songs of Bollywood. Did you know, I heard them at Carnegie and I just about died? I just about died.

6. R.E.M. Got "So. Central Rain" on repeat.

7. The Shania, and "I Won't Leave You Lonely," because she sings French in it. You know that part where she goes, "Je taime beaucoup mon amour, You are the one I adore." And then at the end she whispers, "Te amo." It's so sweet and it makes me happy, but I can't listen to it too loudly when I'm out in public. If my main ambition in life is to disappear, listening to the drippiest of drippy Shania Twain songs would kind of defeat that a bit.

8. I had to listen to "Islands in the Stream." Twice. Enough said.

9. The Shins, Oh, Inverted World. And not just the songs from the Garden State soundtrack.

10. Because ten is a good number and is a nice way to end this top ten list (wasn't aware that this would become a top ten list of most-played music for this week, but that's fine, as there's really no way I could have exhausted my list with a mere ten. This is a list that sadly won't mention the other jewels from this week, such as Whitney Houston, Willie Nelson, Wilco, and Paul McCartney, but that may be for another time. There's always room for more, and then there's always next week.

Here's the tenth song/band/artist/album: The Education of Mimi. I don't own it, and I kind of don't want to talk about it, but you know she's doing promo/ad stuff for Gillette, right? And that her legs are insured, as she's a part of (or the main attraction for) the Legs of a Goddess campaign. In my mind, it's all I can imagine: this gigantic pair of legs stretching to the heavens that have a light golden sheen to them, feet strapped into a pair of glittery Valentino's, pigeon-toed, thighs clenched together, because, as you know, it's not about the twat this time.

Cause I'm the rocket man, burning up his fuse up there alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home