Hobos in Space

Two west side hobos talking in a vacuum, thinking they're funny.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Know Your Role GFY! (And Hockey continued)

We, at Hobos Inc, believe in giving credit where credit is due. With that said, I, Cass would like to acknowledge that over half of our employees (when we track their internet usage) visit the caustic, celebrity-ripping blog GFY. I believe in these 2 young bloggers. I believe in their ability to hold self-absorbed, overpaid celebrities to a higher fashion standard. They are witty. They are cruel. And Ti and I support their crusade against leggings, overexposure (both breasts and ass), and general fashion disarray. However, yesterday in their fashion coverage of a MUCH music event, they crossed a clear line.

A line drawn in blood, as far as I’m concerned. Not only did they claim to be Canadaphiles, but they also claimed to understand (in a casual reference), one of our most sacred topics here: hockey. The GFYers made some inane comment about how they love Canada and would like to see the Oilers back on top, where they belong. Um, yeah. [Deep breaths] I can hear you, dear reader, saying, "but Cass, you hate Carolina, you want the Oilers to win too." And you’re correct. I do hate Carolina and their thieving franchise with the passion of a Hartford Whaler. I hate the fact that if they win, a Stanley Cup will be awarded at the exact same moment as a zillion homecoming trophies. And no one in the Carolinas will pay attention to the former. I’ve even contemplated charging the ice and intercepting the presentation.

However, if you’re going to take on hockey, take it on, ladies. Don’t make some general statement about restoring the Oilers to the top. Because as much as I want Carolina to lose, I am astute enough to understand that the Oilers are not that good, nor do they need to be restored, anywhere. In fact, the NHL could not have predicted a worse playoff end for this ground-breaking season. The Oilers are NOT the IT team of Canada, ladies. I predict had Ottawa made it past my fair Sabres, which wouldn’t have happened, but if by some strange cosmic mishap they did, they would be crushing the Oilers.

And if you claim to be a Canadaphile, back it up, with some hard core facts or name dropping beyond the obvious Alanis : Molson Stock Ale, the Arcade Fire, Tragically Hip, Strange Brew, to name a few. GFY Ladies, despite what the stat counter says, I know you’ve been visiting hobosinspace. We know it. We appreciate your interest, we do. We wish your retention for hockey details and lingo was a bit better, but we love you for caring. However, stick to the celeb-bashing, ok? I don’t pretend to be able to rip J Simp, K Fed, or Bai Ling with your fury, passion, or wit. You rock it. Now, we at Hobos Inc, kindly ask that you extend us the same courtesy. Please respect and celebrate our careful handling of the hockey diatribe. We invented it. We own it. We rock it. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home