Hobos in Space

Two west side hobos talking in a vacuum, thinking they're funny.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

WHY?

Sometimes, I feel like NY is full of freaks (I know you’re thinking – er, Cass, newsflash, New York is freaks?!)! But I’m talking about Freaks, who sit at their laptops, credit card in hand, poised to kick my ass in the Ticketmaster race to see everything in this goddam city that I want to see, hear, experience. Everything.

It started AGAIN today at noon when tickets to the New Yorker Festival went on sale. 12:03 and half the crap I wanted to see SOLD OUT (in reality Ticketmaster doesn't give you that courtesy, they string you along with this "currently unavailable" crap, so an ounce of you still hopes against hope). Who are these people? I can tell you, with certainty, some of them have kids. Because my coworker went to order tickets to the Carnegie Kids series the moment they went on sale. And the concert she wanted? Sold out!!!! WHY? Why is an orchestral concert where kids bop around and hear little ditties about the string family and the woodwind family fuckin' SOLD OUT?!

Yeah it’s great to live in New York and have access to all these amazing cultural events (I just pony-ed up for the Dale Chihuly exhibit at the New York Botanical Gardens and opera tickets. And I want History Boys tickets and Regina Spektor tickets, oh and Snow Patrol tickets for Friday. And Snow Patrol is of course SOLD OUT and I’m even considering paying some jackass on craigslist four times the original ticket price). But it’s not quite as great when you’re competing with the professional ticket hoarders who screwed Tiresias and me out of Shakespeare in the Park and have nothing better to do than sleep 24-7 by various box offices all over town and snatch up tickets to everything I want to see. Bastards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home